Thursday, July 31, 2008

Quick Post Whoops!

I have to make this quick because my best friend from college is coming over and I have to get dinner ready. So anyone who knows me can honestly say that before I got married I didn't cook. Dinner in a box or can was good enough for me. However, once I got married I found out I loved to cook (hence the 30lb weight gain). This was funny to me because Beau was an amazing cook so I probably should have been content with him as the cook the rest of our lives but I felt I needed to fulfill my womanly duty so off I went to learn how to cook. Tonight I decided to make these really amazing turkey burgers with chutney. For part of the chutney you have to cook pears and cinnamon on parchment paper in the oven to mix with other things. You all know I like to over exaggerate at times but this is NOT one of them :-) I almost had to go live with my neighbors Larry and Jeannie. This would not have been a bad thing as they are awesome people but you see, I almost burned down the house. I have never used parchment paper before and so I assumed it was the same as wax paper. I grabbed the wax paper, put it on the cookie sheet and into the oven it went. Several minutes later everything started to smell like wax. I didn't really think anything of it until I turned around and billows of smoke were pouring out of the oven. I ran to open all the windows and doors not sure if the fire alarm went directly to the fire department and wafted the heck out of the oven. It finally settled down and I realized that wax paper and parchment paper and in fact very different!!! Hope you laughed as hard as I did. Oh well, at least we can learn from our mistakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good laugh! I've also had a few fire bombs happen over the years -- sure makes for fun memories!